Looking to Moab

It’s 3 am and here I am awake again. It’s been a while since I’ve had so much on my mind at this time of the day.

This Saturday I hop on an Amtrak train and head out to Moab, Utah for my climb. I will be heading to go on my first rock climbing trip, accompanied by 10-15 other young adults who have at some point been diagnosed with cancer. We will stay in a large cabin together, along with two guides and a chef. We will be trained, coached, and climb for a week in Moab.

It has been an incredible goal that got me back on track fitness-wise, but now that it’s here, it’s a little terrifying.

I feel like I’ve closed this wound. I had originally applied for this program last fall when I wanted to be surrounded by others like me. I wanted to be connected with them out of the sorrow, pain, and general bad luck that life sent us. I wanted to be scared with them, and connect with these people my age in a morbid way.

But that was a long time ago, what feels like a different life. I’m comfortable now. I can shut my fear off 96% of the time. I’m surrounded by people who can comfort me during the other 4% of the time. I’m very empathetic, and I’m scared of my sorrow as well as absorbing the sorrow from others. I don’t know what stories and personalities will be brought into my life.

I saw this on the ‘why’ section of the website for the program of my trip – ‘EACH YEAR, NEARLY 70,000 YOUNG ADULTS (AGE 15 – 39) ARE DIAGNOSED WITH CANCER IN THE U.S. ALONE.¬†SURVIVAL RATES HAVE NOT IMPROVED SINCE THE 1970s.’ My odds of survival haven’t improved in 40 years. Think about all the things medicine has been able to do in 40 years. This it can’t.

January is my next CT scan. My blood work has never been an indicator of what’s going on inside of me, so January is already causing me anxiety since in my mind, it is my only real test. It will either be the day that gives me another year of life, the blessing of going to work every day, being able to do house projects and yard work, deal with broken cars, and balancing all the wonderful struggles of life.

Or it will be when my life starts to end.

I’ve put a lot of thought into which is better: die unexpectedly or have months to prepare. I already feel enlightened; I love the chaos every day brings, or the complete monotony. It’s beautiful when it’s bad, and it’s beautiful when it’s not.

But when it’s time, is it better to have it just be over and not have to deal with the anxiety, or am I strong enough to continue to find beauty as my body slowly fails?

I’ve already estimated how much I would actually get out if I were to close my retirement accounts. I would pull out early and travel as much as I can. I would probably have to sell my house early and move back home. I’m not sure how long I would continue to work.

Because I’ve been lucky enough to surround myself with so many people that privacy is hard to come by, I now sit here in my bathroom with tears running down my face. And it’s great. I want to live my life to capacity, even if it means filling my house, too.

Maybe that’s what I have to keep in mind as I prepare for next week; it’s not about having to readdress my fears as my test day starts to loom in the distance. It’s about a new opportunity to fill myself with more people. More experiences and more stories. More friends who I otherwise would never know.

Regardless, I know it will be a great trip. I know their guides have experience in helping people through these initial hesitations. I know it will be a trip of a lifetime, I just have to get through this week first.

Advertisements

Author: Clarissa A.

The older I get, the less I know.

3 thoughts on “Looking to Moab”

  1. I am hoping you have a wonderful time and we will be anxious to hear from you when you get back. Seize the day…no one knows what tomorrow may bring!

  2. I recently saw a quote, “The trouble is, you think you have time.” It really hit me. And that’s just it. Everyone thinks they have the time. The good side of your situation is that you know you may not. It’s really no different than anyone else b/c they may not have the time either. You are just aware. And it is scary. But it is also powerful. Because you won’t wait to do all those things you know are important. You won’t wait until you’ve retired to enjoy life. It is hard to find that balance between planning for the future and enjoying the present. Hoping that you are having a great trip and a wonderful experience!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s